Want the "deets" on the Deets family? The purpose of this blog is to share our life with family and friends.







Sunday, December 30, 2012

41 Weeks?!

Well, I guess its no secret that Henry did not arrive on his due date. That's ok, but the question is...when is he going to arrive!? I cannot even begin to explain how ready we are for this to be over as we are getting ready to embark on week 41. I am really uncomfortable and REALLY ANXIOUS to meet our baby boy! We are dying to see what he looks like. I have been trying to move, but I get sore pretty easily. I have been pushing myself- I promise. My mom and I went on a all day shopping spree the other day and I just spent 3 plus hours in the kitchen. Hell, I even washed and dried the dishes by hand so I could stay on my feet. Henry is just not ready to come out. I have accepted it, but I hope that he comes soon. If anything...we are getting bored. Everyone keeps saying to enjoy the peace and quiet while we can. I know someday we will look back and remember this moment and wish it had lasted longer, but now we are ready for it to be over. Zac was just ragging on me for not updating my blog enough so I figured I should post an update and a few recipes since I'm bored and all. Plus...maybe talking about it will make it happen??? Perhaps?

Anyway, here are some photos and recipes from tonight's dinner :)
 
Creamy Chicken with Wild Rice Soup

 
4.5 Cups chicken broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 package Rice-a-Roni long grain and wild rice
1/2 t salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 all purpose flour
1/2 C butter
2 Cups half and half- you can use fat free if you want to reduce calories
1 C grated carrots- I just buy the shredded bag and then use the left overs for salads
1 C diced celery
1 C diced onion
1 to 2 garlic cloves
 
Poach chicken breasts in water until cooked (or you can use a rotisserie chicken) allow them to cool and then shred with a fork-season with salt and pepper and set aside.
 
Saute veggies in 1T of butter until cooked, but don't over do it. I like a little crunch to my veggies- set aside.
 
Cook rice according to package instructions- set aside.
 
In a stock pot melt 1/2 C butter (1 stick) and add the flour. Cook for a few minutes to remove the raw taste. This is the roux that will eventually thicken your soup. Slowly whisk in the 2 cups of half and half. Whisk over medium heat until it thickens.
 
Add the chicken broth, chicken, veggies, and rice. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes or so. You want all the flavors to meld together.
 
This soup is absolutely delicious and will make 6-8 servings. If you want to bulk it up a bit, you can make two boxes of rice instead of just one. I actually ended up doing that for hubs because he LOVES wild rice.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment