Want the "deets" on the Deets family? The purpose of this blog is to share our life with family and friends.







Sunday, December 16, 2012

Caramel Corn

Last year for Christmas Jace and Andrea bought us a Whirly Pop from Crate and Barell. I use it all of the time. Soooo much better for you than the microwave stuff. Its a lot of fun to create custom seasonings and flavors and it tasted a million times better. Last night I thought I would try a sweet version so I decided to make caramel corn. I started by popping 2 cups of kernels. I always save my large paper brown Trader Joes bags, so when I was done I emptied the Whirly Pop into a bag. On the stove I brought to a boil: 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of brown sugar, and a 1/2 C light corn syrup. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1t of vanilla and 1/2t of baking soda. Pour mixture over popped popcorn. Then shake, shake, shake! Pour onto a couple of pans and throw in the oven at 225 for 1 hour. You should take it out and stir once every 15 minutes. Trust me- it is totally worth it. Once you remove from the oven spread it out on wax paper to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment